If the dry winter air has you feeling like your moisturizer is no longer working the way it used to, it may be time to transition to a richer, more nourishing formula. Here are my top choices for wintertime moisturizers for each skin type:
- Often people with oily skin do not use a moisturizer, as they produce enough natural moisturizer, or sebum, of their own. However, if you feel like the addition of a hyaluronic acid essence and serum is not enough and you need a little extra boost in the winter, try Dr. Hauschka’s Melissa Day Cream, which adds extra hydration in dry areas while balancing sebum production throughout.
- For night care, Graydon’s Super Sensitive Skin Stuff is a light hydrating veil packed with reparative ceramides that won't clog your pores.
- Antipodes Vanilla Pod Hydrating Day Cream is a silky, rich haven from the cold, dry air. Manuka honey, grape seed extract, and rosehip seed oil provide incredible antioxidant protection while leaving the skin velvety soft.
- Antipodes Avocado and Pear Nourishing Night Cream is enriched with avocado oil and the brand’s signature Vinanza grape seed extract, to deeply plump and hydrate while you rest.
- For the driest, most dehydrated skin types, Dr. Hauschka’s Rose Day Cream provides incredible daytime protection. Made with five different kinds of roses, it creates a floral barrier between the cold winter air and your skin.
- At night, dip into a jar of Osea’s Advanced Protection Cream. The ultimate rich moisturizer, it is packed with olive-derived squalane, macadamia and avocado oils, as well as regenerating amino acids.
- Skin prone to redness and irritation, whether normal, combination, or dry, will love Helena Lane’s Shea and Starflower Calming Moisturizer.
- For a richer nighttime option, mix Starflower Moisturizer with Graydon’s The Putty. Packed with anti-inflammatory superfoods, it deeply hydrates while it calms.
Don’t forget your lips! For a rosy glow even in the dead of winter, choose Living Libations RoseGlow Lovers Lips - pure plant protection with sea buckthorn and jojoba oils, as well as rose Otto, Immortelle, and frankincense. Or, give your lips a full spa treatment with a lip scrub! This delicious, effective DIY lip treatment will whisk away the dead skin cells, and leave your lips smooth and supple, all with ingredients you probably have in your pantry right now. Finish off your lip treatment with a thick coat of Dr. Hauschka’s rich Lip Balm, a perfectly hydrating and healing winter BFF.
My final recommendation is arguably the most important if you are concerned about the long-term health and vitality of your skin. It is also the one that may seem counterintuitive, particularly because our winter days are so short and dark. However, no matter the month, no matter the day, no matter WHAT, you must protect your skin from the sun’s UV radiation if you wish to age well (yes, twenty-somethings, I’m talking to YOU!).
It matters not if it is cloudy, or if you haven't actually left your house in ten days. UVA, the wavelengths that penetrate most deeply into our dermis and cause the most DNA damage and skin aging, easily pass through cloud cover and the windows in your home, office or car.
A nearly effortless way to incorporate SPF into your daily regimen is with Eminence’s Sun Defense Minerals. They are 100% mineral-based and available in five different shades, plus a translucent option, providing an SPF of 30, or about 30 times more protection your skin alone could provide. Being 100% mineral, it will not clog pores or cause irritation, even on the most sensitive skin.
Packaged in a handy wand with built-in brush, it is ready to be thrown into a bag or purse for on-the-go applications. Click the dispenser button on the end of the tube once, and gently tap the wand against your hand until you see the powder appear on the brush applicator. Sweep across your face, neck, and décolleté every morning for a weightless veil of sun protection your future self will thank you for!