Kolya Naturals is proudly Canadian. Inspired by our heritage, we've created this delicious drink concentrate recipe: Canadian Maple Soda!
With natural ingredients including red clover blossom, rhodiola root, spruce tips, and of course, maple syrup, you will crave this delicious drink mix year-round.
- ½ cup dried red clover blossoms
- ¼ cup rhodiola root
- 3 cups freshly picked spruce tips
- 2 cups organic cane sugar
- 1 cup organic dark maple syrup
- 2-3 wide mouth Mason jars
- metal strainer
- double boiler
- large spoon or spatula
- MasonTops Pickle Packer Tamper (optional)
- After foraging for spruce tips, wash them gently in cold water to remove impurities. Pat dry, and allow to dry completely on a clean dish towel.
- Combine spruce tips, red clover, and rhodiola root into a large bowl.
- Add organic cane sugar and maple syrup. Fold until evenly mixed.
- Using the Pickle Packer Tamper, tightly pack the mixture into a sterilized mason jar in layers. Squish down the mixture after each layer is added.
- Tightly seal your mason jars and place in a sunny location for 3-5 days. Mixture will begin to liquify and spruce tips will turn beige in colour.
- After your mixture has thoroughly infused, empty both jars into a double boiler and cook for 20 minutes on high heat. While cooking, wash and sterilize your jars by submerging in boiling water and allowing to air-dry completely.
- Remove mixture from heat and, using a strainer, strain mixture of all herbal matter. Keep syrup in the fridge for up to 4 months, or seal in a water bath for long-term storage.*
- Add 1-3 tbsp of syrup to sparkling water for a distinctly Canadian twist to your soda, or use in place of other sweeteners in baking and other desserts. Try it drizzled over ice cream or cake!
*To seal for long-term storage, fill your clean & sterile jars. Apply lid, and completely submerge jar in boiling water for at least 10 minutes.
Tip: To avoid premature spoilage, avoid introducing excess water to the jar: ensure your utensils are completely dry when preparing your soda