Earth’s Aromatique is the DIY & botanical ingredient extension of Kolya Naturals. Our sole focus is to offer the best quality botanicals to our customers so they can handcraft quality skincare and herbal remedies at home.
Our line celebrates the simplicity and harmony of the natural world and all of its offerings, with an emphasis on sustainability and ethically sourced botanicals. From essential oils, raw herbs, teas, and more- each ingredient is carefully sought out and hand selected for its quality and vibrancy.
Nicola (our founder), what are your top three essential oils?
Nicola, what are two simple, everyday things that excite you in life?
- "Bullet Journaling - I don't know how I functioned before this. It’s the first thing I do every morning, and often the last thing before bed. Generally, I look at the overview of the day, then the week, set my lists, do a quick sketch or a bit of calligraphy and jump into the day. More than anything, this kind of journaling keeps me calm and focused.
- Making Sourdough Bread - Yes, I too jumped into that deep end and have yet to come out. Mixing the dough and taking it to completion 3 days later is my favourite part of the week. This practice is profoundly sensual and meditative for me."
Kolya once had a cafe! Are there any menu items you particularly miss?
“Yes! Before we opened the Apothecary & Learning Kitchen, we tried our hand at an organic cafe. This was in 2005 until 2008. With the young additions to our family, it wound up to be too much to handle on top of Optimum Health and Kolya, so we closed the doors to focus on those. It wound up being a blessing in disguise, though, because the same space became our Learning Kitchen, and later still, our Refill Station!
As for the old menu, one of my best friends, Sara, ran the cafe kitchen. She made a vegetarian breakfast burrito which I still makes my mouth water. For any of you who remember those days, here is the recipe:
Breakfast Bean Wrap
- 2 cans baked beans
- ¾ tsp. curry
- ½ tsp. mustard powder
- 2 tsp. maple syrup (the real stuff)
- oil or butter
- 2 eggs 2-3 tbsp red onion,
- diced fresh spinach
- 3-4 tomato slices per wrap
- shredded cheese or cheese alternative
- Mix together baked beans, curry, mustard powder and maple syrup in a bowl.
- In a pan, add a little oil, and scramble the eggs with red onions. If you’re vegan, simply omit.
- While eggs are still hot, build the wrap. Lay the wrap flat and in each one, place some bean mix, the eggs, and the rest of the ingredients.
- Wrap it like a burrito, and lay on a panini grill or warm pan for 1 min. Flip and warm for another minute or until warmed through. That’s it! Enjoy!
While the COVID-19 pandemic also forced the Learning Kitchen to temporarily shut its doors in 2020, both Earth’s Aromatique and Kolya Naturals continue as a thriving community wherein learning is shared. Eco-friendly living is at the forefront of our growth, and we are always looking to learn more from our teachers, peers, and colleagues."
Who are some formative mentors or sources of inspiration for Kolya?
"Thank you for this question! I think of my company, Kolya, as a kind of orchestra: while the conductor leads the symphony, they would have nothing if it weren’t for the talented musicians and individuals that play beautiful music. I find it so important to acknowledge the people who teach and inspire; they are our elders and as Newton expressed 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.'
These are just but a few mentors from earlier years. If I were to list everyone, this interview would never end.
- Robert and Laurie Szott Rogers - When I was a teenager I often visited their healing store. I would go there for comfort; the smell there was divine. These two have been my teachers ever since.
- Catherine Potter - As a mentor, she is my North Star. Catherine's wisdom and counsel have helped me through the milestones of my life: motherhood, marriage, death of loved ones and my purpose for being here. I am eternally and completely grateful to this woman.
- Rosemary Gladstar - When I apprenticed in her program I was humbled by the purity of her spirit and her limitless generosity to impart knowledge and kindness to us all. Rosemary, grandly known as the grandmother of Western Herbalism, even offered to help wash our clothes when we were staying on her mountain... My jaw literally dropped that day in surprise.
- Mandy Aftel - In an utterly beautiful and aesthetic way, Mandy re-ignited a love for essential oils in me. Her book “Essence & Alchemy” is complete poetry and when I trained with her, she enchanted us by teaching how to blend for a beguiling scent and as well as beautiful colour.
In 2020, Earth’s Aromatique expanded again! We invite you to bring empty containers to our Refill Station, and take advantage of our zero-waste lifestyle products. Our team will welcome you - no matter where you are on your sustainability journey - and encourage the reduction of disposable and plastic waste.
We can all work together to improve our ways being on this planet.
With boundless gratitude, Nicola Biggs & the Kolya team"
- Article from our Kolya Summer Box (2021) Magazine.